Halloween is one of the biggest party nights of the year for nightclubs in Northern Michigan as hordes of costumed revelers turn out to dance the night away.
Traditionally, the Halloween fun takes place the weekend before the actual date, but there are exceptions. Papa Lou's in Petoskey, for instance, will host its annual Halloween Bash on Oct. 31.
Here are some other nightclub events happening 'round the region:
• Maliboo Masquerade -- the 6th annual costume party takes place Saturday, Oct. 27 at Odawa Casino in Peotskey with some high-stakes prizes. $500 will be awarded for the Best Individual Costume, with $500 for Best Group Costume.
• The Leelanau Sands Casino and Turtle Creek Casino hold their Halloween parties on Friday, Oct. 26 and Saturday, Oct. 27, respectively. Each casino is offering over $2,500 in cash giveaways in contest prizes, plus a chance to win a trip to Greenbrier Resort.
• Hooters in TC is hosting a Halloween Bikini Contest on Tuesday, Oct. 30. The party starts at 7 p.m. and members of the audience are eligible to serve as judges.
• The Galactic Sherpas rock CIty Park Grill in Petoskey for their annual Halloween Bash. Dance to funk and rock sounds and enjoy the costume contest.
• Haunted Hayrides are offered at Black Star Farms in Suttons Bay on Oct. 26-27 from 7-9:30 p.m., with cider, mulled wine and other refreshments.
• Need more? Click here for the full Northern Express Hot Dates listings.
Express Top Film Pick:
Colin Farrell stars as a blocked Hollywood screenwriter who finds inspiration from a loony group of psychopaths, some in his life and some in his imagination. Christopher Walken excels as a professional dog-napper, Sam Rockwell is his partner and Woody Harrelson is a relentless gangster who comes looking for Bonny, his beloved Shih Tzu, which they hold as hostage. Inspired goofiness written and directed by Martin McDonagh ("In Bruges"). Rating: Three and a half stars.
-- By Roger Ebert (Comedy, R, 109 minutes