Local bluegrass and string-band lovers will have a chance to hear Northern Michigan's new Fauxgrass band this Friday, Nov. 23 when they perform at the InsideOut Gallery in TC.
The band has local roots, says bassist Tim McKay, who is also the owner of Fernand Footwear in Benzonia, maker of handmade custom shoes.
"We're a Michigan-based band with members in Benzie, TC, and Grand Rapids," McKay says. Other members include Adam Balcer on guitar, Joey Schultz on banjo and Jason Wheeler on mandolin, with all contributing to the vocals.
The band played the Nauti-Cat a couple of times this summer and had an opening slot at Kilkenny's in TC for Soul Patch, but has yet to establish itself in the region, "though we have been selling out shows in Grand Rapids, and other points south," McKay notes.
"While we play mostly in the bluegrass style and instrumentation, we take a highly improvisational approach combined with tight arrangements, but don't really consider ourselves a bluegrass band. We do delve to the traditional music to make it our own, but reach into a variety of styles and genres for our covers, and our original music.
"We're a very busy band, and actively touring throughout the Mitten, and beyond," McKay adds. "So far we've over a dozen states under our belt, and our next trip in January-February will take us back toward Colorado and points westward."
Tix for Friday's show at 9 pm are $6 each, or two for $10.
Following are other events of note. For the full listing, check out the Hot Dates section at www.northernexpress.com
- 80th Birthday Party: Celebrate Little Bohemia's 80th year in business, in TC, with a 1930s Best Dressed contest and music by The Accidentals, Zak Watson, Billy Strings & Ron Getz Trio, 3pm-12am. Free appetizers.
- 5K Turkey Vulture Trot: Crystal Mountain Resort, Thompsonville, 9am. Registration, $25, from 8-8:30am. Pre-registration, $20.
- Turkey Leg 5K Run/Walk: Zorn Park, Harbor Springs, 9am. Register at The Outfitter or day-of, 8:30-8:45am. $10 donation per runner. Supports Harbor Springs Community Food Pantry.
- CAH Thankgiving Turkey Trot: 5K run/walk at Charlevoix Area Hospital, 8:30am. $10 per person or $25 per family. Price increase of $5 day of event. Please bring a non-perishable food item to be donated to local food pantry.
- UpNorth Media Turkey Trot: Featuring a 5K and five-mile distance, starting and ending at Thirlby Field, TC. Registration and packet pick-up on Wed., with entertainment, 5-7pm.
- Holiday Open House & Tree Lighting: Three Pines Studio, Cross Village, 11am-7pm. Local fiddlers and visit from Mr. & Mrs. Claus at lighting, 5:30pm.
- Grande Vision Art Show: Group exhibition of artists of the Grande Ballroom Era, including Leni Sinclair, Carl Lundgren and Gary Crimshaw at InsideOut Gallery, TC, 3-10pm on Friday; noon-10pm on Saturday. Eats, drinks specials and special guest appearances.
- Holiday Open House & Parade: Boyne City, 6-9pm, featuring Santa Claus, shopping, refreshments, parade and more.
Leland PJ Party & Sale: Store deals in downtown Leland, 8-10am.
- Brew Anniversary Party: Celebrate the downtown TC pub/coffee shop's first year from 8-11pm. Live music by True Falsettos. No cover.
- Downtown Cadillac Storybook Christmas: Carols, Mrs. Claus storybook reading and live music in the city park, starting at 5:30pm. Santa arrives, 6:15pm, tree lighting, 6:30pm. Saturday events include Toy Town Toy Trot, 1k & 5k run at 10am (to benefit Toys for Tots), Santa arrival at 11am and Small Business Saturday with door prizes, specials, entertainment and more.
- Harbor Springs Christmas Tree Lighting: Music, shopping and Christmas entertainment, starting at 5:30pm.
- 3rd Annual Manna Rail Jam: Bring $5 or five canned goods to the 'shred' event at Nubs Nob Terrain Park, Harbor Springs, 11am-4pm.
- M-23 Strings CD Release Party: New bluegrass band at Sleeping Bear Inn, Frankfort, 7:30-10pm. $10 entry.
- Stafford's Holiday Parade: Downtown Petoskey starts at 10am. "It's a Doggone Holiday" theme with horses, floats, reindeer and local business and organization pets, traveling down Mitchell Street, ending at Stafford's Perry Hotel. Includes Santa's workshop in the veranda. Donations of new, unwrapped toys to Toys For Tots along the parade route.